When to Notify Social Security After a Loved One’s Death

After the death of a loved one, whether sudden or expected, families have hundreds of questions. These questions generally range from funeral planning and ceremonies to burials, obituaries, wrongful death lawsuits, and more. But one of the most common inquiries and concerns among the recently bereaved in regard to the death of a loved one involves Social Security. The legalities of death are sometimes confusing, especially while simultaneously grieving and coping with a loss, and even more so if the death was the fault of another.  

Continue below to learn what you need to know about contacting the Social Security Office after the death of a family member, and what to do if a negligent party was responsible for your loved one’s passing.

Wrongful Death Lawyers Indianapolis Indiana 317-636-7497
Wrongful Death Lawyers Indianapolis Indiana 317-636-7497

Contacting the Social Security Office

Social security must be notified of a person’s death, but many people are too emotionally overwhelmed to handle technical details like this when someone they love passes away. So, when someone dies, who should alert social security? The answer is both the funeral home hired as well as the bereaved.

Funeral directors commonly send out the initial death notification to the Social Security Office on behalf of the bereaved. In fact, they generally handle all the necessary filing for families grieving the loss of a loved one. Funeral directors are there to provide all the necessary and relevant services needed following the death of a family member, spouse, or child.  

Social Security and Survivor Benefits

Once the initial death notification is sent, it is important for families to then make the effort and call themselves as soon as they can, in order to obtain and provide additional necessary information. Families must consult Social Security to see if any benefits need to be returned, or if the surviving family members qualify for Survivor Benefits.

Wrongful Death Claims

If your loved one lost their life in an accident that was not their fault, but rather, the fault of another person or entity (manufacturer, government agency, company, etc.), you may claim payments through a wrongful death claim. Aside from being secured with your loved one’s Social Security benefits and related survivors’ benefits, you may also be entitled to compensation for your damages and losses.

Some common damages recovered wrongful death claims include hospital bills, medical expenses, lost work wages, funeral and burial costs, lost inheritance, lost future earnings, lost household income, mental anguish, emotional stress, loss of companionship, loss of parental guidance and care, loss of consortium (intimacy), reduced quality of life, and even legal fees.

It is critical to hire a skilled and experienced Indiana civil litigator to represent your wrongful death lawsuit. They will fight for your right to the maximum wrongful death settlement or Social Security verdict you and your surviving family deserve.

When you are looking for a wrongful death lawyer in Indiana, trust none other than Carl Brizzi, Attorney at Law. For a free case evaluation, contact us at 317-636-7497 as soon as possible. Our Indianapolis IN wrongful death lawyers serve clients all throughout Indiana.

Related Posts:

Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse and Wrongful Death
Facts About Construction Site Accidents and Injuries
Can I Sue a Driver if They Hit My Dog?

Carl Brizzi Law Indianapolis Indiana
Carl Brizzi Law Indianapolis Indiana 317-636-7497

Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse and Wrongful Death

Wrongful Death Lawyers Indianapolis Indiana
Wrongful Death Lawyers Indianapolis Indiana 317-636-7497

On Aug. 13, 2011, the stage collapsed just moments before Sugarland was set to start the concert at the Indiana State Fair, setting off a chain of events that altered lives forever. Seven fans were killed, and nearly 100 more were injured when winds in excess of 60 MPH caused the rigging above the stage to fail, sending lighting, sound equipment and parts of the stage roof into the audience.

I represented the family of one individual who was tragically killed. He was a husband and father of two young boys working security when the stage collapsed. When a loved one is killed as a result of the negligence of another, Indiana law provides remedies to the survivors. In handling wrongful death claims, it is important to understand that the appropriate remedy and the recoverable damages in each case are dependent upon the status of the victim as well as the relationship to the persons he or she leaves behind.

Because wrongful deaths usually happen when we least expect it, many times people pass away without a will. In those instances, the estate is considered “intestate”, meaning that there’s no legal document to control the person’s assets. In such cases, the first step in pursuing the wrongful death action is to open an estate by filing a petition with the court for appointment of a personal representative. An estate is the legal term for the entity created to control the assets and debts of a person after his or her death. The petition will be assigned a case number just like any other lawsuit or matter filed in the court.

Carl Brizzi LAW is prepared to do the legwork to get the estate established. If the estate is complicated or if there are many beneficiaries, we will work with you and your family to help you through this process. Once the estate is opened, the personal representative of the estate essentially becomes the wrongful death plaintiff and acts on behalf of the estate pursuing potential damages for medical, funeral, and burial expenses, as well as, damages for loss of love and companionship. Carl Brizzi will guide you through every step up the process. Contact us today!

We Serve Counties Throughout the Entire State of Indiana Including: Marion County including Indianapolis, Lawrence, and Speedway; Hamilton County including Carmel, Fishers, and Noblesville; Hancock County including Greenfield; Shelby County including Shelbyville; Johnson County including Franklin and Greenwood; Morgan County including Martinsville and Mooresville; Hendricks County including Danville; and Boone County including Lebanon and Zionsville.

Carl Brizzi Law Indianapolis Indiana
Carl Brizzi Law Indianapolis Indiana 317-636-7497